Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Uncovering a Glimmer of the Authentic

Uncovering a Glimmer of the Authentic
Childhood offers clues to our authentic self when we take the time to remember.
Recently, I felt the urge to declutter my spaces. In those moments when I'm ready to release things, I look thoughtfully at my book shelf. I think, "Is there a book that I can let go of?" And every time, I decide I'm not ready and I've realized that it's because each of those books has a message for me. It's not always a message I need immediately, but rather I wait until I'm called. I got one of those calls today.

The still small voice inside brought to the fore front of my consciousness Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach. Simple Abundance contains 366 essays for unearthing the spiritual beauty and simplicity in our daily lives. Written specifically for women, the words comfort me like a warm cup of tea. On this day, I'm called to the essay for February 19 titled Rendezvous with the Authentic Archaeologist. In that essay, Breathnach writes:

"Whether you realize it or not, you have lived many lives, and each one has left an indelible mark on your soul.  I'm referring to the episodic way in which our lives evolve: childhood, adolescence, college and early career years, marriage, motherhood, perhaps life as a single mother, widowhood and onward. Each life experience leaves a layer of memory like a deposit of sediment: things we've loved and moments of contentment we've cherished that when recalled, reveal glimmers of our true selves."  

Ah...yes...that makes so much sense! Sometimes, when I'm confused, I look outside myself for guidance. I ask friends for their opinions on what is right for me. But, as Breathnach reminds me, the only true answer comes from within, recalling where I've found joy and contentment. Those beautiful memories provide clues to my individual path, my heart's desire. Not my husband's preferences or my parents' wishes or my friends' choices, but my authentic life. And that life has evolved from childhood to now, sculpted by my experience. Isn't that beautiful?! Sometimes I watch my four-year-old daughter and wish I could be that authentic. When she's happy she sings without a care as to where she is or who is watching or if she's even on key. When she's sad, she cries and it doesn't matter if we are in the library, the supermarket or our home. Now, most of us wouldn't want to live life quite that out-loud, but to have a glimmer of it might serve our souls.

I think Simple Abundance will leave my bookshelf for now to live on my bedside table to provide me with daily "aha" moments. Join me! If you own Simple Abundance pull it off your book shelf. If not, you can purchase it by clicking below:


1 comment:

  1. It is fun to take the time to reach into our childhood and find those authentic pleasures and expressions that follow us to this day, no matter how buried.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You For Your Comment!