Saturday, March 23, 2013

Finding Our Place in Life



Many years ago, when I taught elementary school, I loved to teach easy, fun, joy-filled songs. One of my favorites was "All God's Creatures Got a Place in the Choir." Recently I found two video versions that tickled my heart. I am going to share them with you because they reminded me of a simple rule of life. 

That rule is everybody belongs here. I also think it reminds me that wherever I am, I am home. It is a feeling of belonging, of being comfortable not only in my skin but also being comfortable giving the gifts that are mine to give. 

I have a place in the choir of life and so do you. It doesn't matter whether or not you can carry a tune, whether or not you read music, whether or not you have had special training, you are here on purpose. You are here to individualize the Infinite Creativity that flows through you. 

You are here to be the sacred space of the Divine and to live fully awake and awakened to your inner strengths. Sometimes we don't give our gifts because we compare ourselves to others and decide that their gifts are better than ours! This is a lie! No one has your gift to give except you. 

Great thinkers have looked at nature to remind us that comparison is foolish. They remind us that the rose doesn't stop blooming because there is another rose beside her. Ralph waldo Emerson wrote: "Envy is ignorance, imitation is suicide." I believe he is right. When we envy what someone else has or does, what we are telling the Creative Process within us, is that we can not have or do that thing. The spiritual truth is that life is a wholeness and all of us are necessary to its ultimate expression and unfoldment. As the song says, "All God's creatures got a place in the choir." Enjoy!

 

1 comment:

  1. Two toe-tappers to-boot! Love this blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You For Your Comment!