Monday, March 31, 2014

THE HEALING POWER OF MUSIC




There is no question in my mind about the healing power of music.  Whether I'm listening to it, writing it, playing it, or singing it, there is an inner healing occurring both at the cellular level and at the soul level. Although I haven't had any recent physical challenges to overcome, I have certainly felt my own emotional healing occur from music.

A few months ago, I was experiencing a challenging time in my life.  It felt like life was coming at me from all directions and I could barely breathe, let a lone cry! All along, listening to calm, meditative music on a regular basis kept me sane but I was still far from healed. Because I am a musician, one of my responsibilities is to sing on a regular basis, and this definitely brings my spirits up each time, but there was still a huge hole.

As days and weeks went by, and daily I passed those 88 keys on the way in and out of my house, never sitting down in front of them to caress their beautiful ivories, it finally came to me in the shower (where most of my revelations happen) like a ton of bricks! The question screamed to me in my mind, "When was the last time you sat down at the piano and played?!" Immediately after drying off and getting dressed, I sat down on the hard wood bench, blew the dust off of some of my old pieces of sheet music, and finally moved those rusty ol' fingers. I must admit, the fingers were not dancing off the keys at first, but thus the journey back home began.

Music did its healing work and now I will always remember the power it has to make the world a better place.

As a way to give back and share this healing experience with others, I will be co-facilitating a music event at the Center for Spiritual Living Capistrano Valley on Wednesday, April 2, 2014. The evening will begin with a community potluck at 5:45pm (bring your favorite dish to share), and then will commence with a "Community Hootenanny" from 7:00-8:00pm. We are asking everyone to bring an acoustic instrument or percussion to play (there will be a limited amount of extra percussion instruments available for those who do not bring one.) This is an evening for the whole family, so come down, bring the kids and some of your friends for an evening of fun, food, fellowship and music!

“Where words leave off, music begins.”   -Heinrich Heine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Your Comment!