Thursday, March 20, 2014

Welcome Spring! Come Join Our Relay Team!



So today is the first day of Spring! I didn't know the date when I woke this morning, but everything was still just a little brighter, a little better, and I didn't know why. (Though I probably did subconsciously, but let's not spoil the moment.)

I love all of those days that we use to mark the passing of the seasons: Vernal Equinox, Summer Solstice, Autumnal Equinox and Winter Solstice. Their very names sound magical, don't they? Here in Southern California, a calender is just about the only way to tell we've changed seasons sometimes.

Except that the days grow longer...

During the spring and summer, we have more hours of daylight to spend with those we love. I am thrilled to know that we are one day closer to the warm, sunny days of summer, but there is something extra special about today...

The first day of Spring, is also known as the vernal equinox. For those of you who are a little rusty on your Latin, vernal means "pertaining to spring or sunshine," and equinox is Latin for "equal night," meaning that the day and night are both equal in length. From here on out, the days will be longer and sunnier (June gloom not withstanding).

Today is a new beginning - a perfect day to start or join something new. I know I have a ton of projects I'd like to do around my house. As I think of the home improvement projects I want to start, and for a moment, I think of my two brothers who were felled by cancer in the prime of their lives. They were both so handy with tools - quite the opposite of my beloved husband, who is more skilled with a keyboard.

This horrid disease robbed them from their families far too soon, and after all these years, it's still hard for me to see the "good." I must confess, that to this day, their absence leaves me with a gaping, sucking hole in my heart.

Sadly, I know that I am not alone in that ache. Each day in the United States, approximately 1,600 people will say goodbye for the last time to their families because of cancer - 1,660,290 new cases will be diagnosed this year, and the disease is expected to claim 580,530 lives in 2013.

It doesn't have to be this way.


Research has shown that many forms of cancer can be prevented by simple lifestyle changes.That research was funded in part by the Relay For Life, which is the American Cancer Society's signature fundraiser. It is a 24-hour event in which volunteer teams take turns walking the track. Symbolically, in some cases literally, staying up all night in recognition of the fact that cancer never sleeps. In over 25 years of Relaying, participants have raised millions help fund research for lifesaving treatments, patient education and awareness. The goal is to remove cancer as a major health threat.

This year, the Center is pleased to have a team at the Relay. 
Join us in this new beginning - it's as easy as walking.



We will participate in the San Clemente Relay For Life on July 26-27, 2014 at the San Clemente High School Track, and we would love for you to join us! Your consciousness would be the perfect addition. In fact, we are contemplating asking people sign up to hold a prayer vigil at our campsite (to hold consciousness) as well as walking the track.

It's really easy to sign up. Just click here to register for our team: Center for Spiritual Living Capo Valley: Centered For Life.

So save the date! July 26-27 at San Clemente High School. The fun starts at 9:00 AM Saturday, but bring your sleeping bag, cuz we'll be there until 9:00 AM Sunday - unless you really can't stay... it won't be the same without you, but we understand. It's a team effort, and you're a blessing whether you do a little or a lot!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Your Comment!