Friday, July 18, 2014

Inevitable Changes

The only constant is change. Without change we would atrophy and die. Yet most of us resist changes, even though we know they are for our highest and best good. Even when we know that everything is in Divine order. 

We read in Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; 
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; 
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; 
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; 
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; 
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; 
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace. 

In 1965, a popular song by the Byrds, "Turn, Turn, Turn" was written based on this scripture. Interestingly, it was much easier for me to embrace then than it is now. Then I was just starting University, just setting out, with my whole life ahead of me. I hadn't any idea of the myriad changes that would be the story of my life. Although I had experienced the deaths of a beloved uncle and an aunt, death was distant to me. Like most young people of that time I thought I was immune from suffering and death.

Recently several dear friends have made their transitions. I know that they live on and in much better circumstances, freed from the bondage and pain of their bodies. Still I am sad to see them go. Thankfully my spiritual practice and my certainty about the continuity of life have helped me deal with these deaths. Life doesn't start with our arrival on the planet, nor does it end when we breathe our last breath. Rather we were and always will be one with the indivisible Source. I don't really know what happens after death. But I am certain that somehow, somewhere, we continue. Life goes on not only for our loved ones but also for us. 

Helen Keller wrote:
"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
Learn to accept the changes in your life. There is another door opening. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Your Comment!