Saturday, March 16, 2013

Self Care Mary Oliver



One night this week, I was awake most of the night with what felt like glass shards in my lower abdomen. After my 8 AM conference call, I decided to go back to bed and get some more sleep. I slept until 2:30 PM, then took the rest of the day off. The next morning I was talking to a wise woman who praised me for this action. She asked me, "Do you make self-care your highest priority?" She admonished me that as a care-giver, it was really important to look after myself.

When you travel by plane, the flight attendant always reminds the passengers, "Put on your own oxygen mask first, then look after the others in your care. Indeed it makes sense for a mother travelling with small children AND it makes sense for every one of us. If we don't learn to take care of our own needs, what will we have to give? I have been a minister for a long time. I know the Principles of life really well but sometimes I don't practice as well as I could.

Maybe we all need a reminder, a cheat sheet for self care. The spiritual essentials are; prayer, meditation, tithing, serving, and learning. So do you make your spiritual time a priority? Do you love yourself enough to give yourself the first hour in every day to connect with Source? Do you take time to do things that make your heart sing? Do you know when you are depleting yourself and when you are refueling?

I know that there are ways to refuel for me. Reading a poem by Hafiz, Rumi, David Whyte or Mary Oliver will often do it for me. Listening to really beautiful music or being in the mountains will also inspire me. Relaxing in a spa also feels seductive.

When you look after your Soul, you are paying homage to the presence of God within. Do it. Plan to do it today. When you love yourself, you live in grace.

And So It Is
And So It Is 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Your Comment!