Saturday, May 4, 2013

Do You Have the Power to Stop God?


Have you ever denied your identity? When I watch one of my favorite musicals, Les Miserables, I am always moved by the goodness of the protagonist, Jean Val Jean. He was a man who was cruelly and brutally incarcerated for stealing a loaf of bread. Released from prison after nineteen years of unjust punishment, he was bitter and angry. He was shunned by everyone he met except for a kindly man of God.

 "Bishop Welcome" as he was known by the people in his area, not only treated Jean Val Jean with kindness,giving him food, clothing and a place to sleep. The Bishop told him he was in God's house and was welcome, treating the former prisoner with respect and brotherly love. Val Jean still hardened from his treatment in jail, stole several expensive pieces of silver from the Bishop. When the gendarmes caught him and took him back to the Bishop, the Bishop told them that the pieces were a gift from him and insisted that he take even more.

 This generous action transformed Jean Val Jean. He made a new life for himself. He was a just and fair man who was still being hunted by Inspector Javert for changing his identity. The clip shows Jean Val Jean's inner struggle when another man was mistaken for Val Jean. He comes to the conclusion, that he must do the right thing, even if it means going back to prison. 

One of the greatest pieces of advice ever given, is found is the play Hamlet, when Polonius is talking to his young son.He advises, "To thine own self be true." What great advice especially if we know who we really are. 

Many years ago, when I was starting out on my spiritual path, I attended a spiritual personal development course, called On Course. During the course, the facilitators, Michael and Paulette Sun, helped people realize their inherent goodness, their infinite possibilities, their God nature. Filled with compassion, I was flooded with tears with each person's awakening. 

Then Michael came to me and asked quietly, "You really see the goodness, truth and beauty in all of these people don't you Heather?" I nodded. 

He went on, "You see that each one is a powerful God being filled with God qualities.?"Again I agreed. 

Then he said, "But you don't really feel that you are worthy, lovable and capable, do you?" I agreed again. 

Then he said, "Do you know how arrogant that is?" I was dumfounded! Tender-hearted me, being accused of being arrogant!I looked at him speechlessly. I had no idea what he meant. 

He went on, "You believe that you are the one human being, on the entire planet, who is separate from God! You are strong enough to stop the Creator of the Universe from doing what It does! You stop it from being God in you!" 

 Something in me, heard him with new ears. I got it. My shoulders dropped. I felt filled with Peace. I was transformed. His honesty and perception gave me a gift greater than silver candlesticks; he gave me  a glimpse at my true identity.

Who am I? I am Heather Dawn Clark, made in the image of Truth, Beauty and Good. Who do you think you are?

Namaste
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You For Your Comment!